Louis Guido Adami October 29, 1924 - September 5, 2020

Louis Guido Adami, born October 29, 1924, in West New York, New Jersey to Guido Adami and Delfina Bachetta Adami, passed away on September 5, 2020. His brother Joseph, 7 years his senior and a good friend, and his beloved wife, Anne Anahid Adami, preceded him in death.

As a toddler, under the care of his aunt for the journey, he was sent to live with his wealthy great uncle and his family on their estate in the Piedmont region of Italy. While Lou was not a story teller he did reveal that as a 7 year old just back from 5 years in Italy his first thoughts on seeing his parents’ walkup apartment over their embroidery factory in New Jersey was, “This place is a dump.” His father had been a chef in a hotel chain before he settled down to own and manage the embroidery factory in West New York, NJ, and his mother was a homemaker. Like many children in families with businesses, Lou spent many hours after school working in the factory, time which could have been spent at the park playing ball with his friends. A graduate of Memorial High School in New Jersey, Lou served in the Army Air Force during World War II and was stationed in Alaska. When he came home from the war, he had the idea of getting a job of his own. Thin as a rail, a job in construction, mixing cement, and one prying open the heavy showcases that were used for movie posters and other jobs, did not last and did not appeal to him. He was stunned that none of the other workers seemed to find a need to wash their filthy hands prior to eating lunch. He decided for the first time in his life to get serious about school. In addition to continuing to work in his parents’ embroidery factory he started taking classes in NYU in Manhattan and eventually got his BA attending classes at night at Upsala College in Orange NJ. One of his first jobs after graduation was at Gibraltar Corrugated Paper Company (today part of Mead Paper) in North Bergen, NJ, as a safety director. He was proud of the incentive programs he developed there to reduce accidents in the plant. In 1964 he and his family moved to Norwalk, Connecticut so he could take a job at Seamless Rubber where he could work in his chosen area, personnel, or as it is known today Human Resources. With success brought new jobs and he moved on to work at Teleregister Corp., which became Bunker Ramo, he then worked at Martin Marietta and then finally settled at Litton Industries, a giant conglomerate, with headquarters in Beverly Hills, California. He resisted moving the family to California though each week he travelled across much of the country where he had the responsibility of representing the corporation while negotiating contracts with the plant labor unions. There his habit of never letting people know what he knew, and appearing to not know what he was talking about, served him well. He was good at what he did and enjoyed it, but he revealed much later in life that there were many times he could have perhaps gotten more sacrifices out of the unions but for some reason, he chose not to pursue that goal.

His wife, the late Anahid Anne Adami, was the love of his life. Though they knew each other in high school and they saw each other off and on when he got back from the war, it was not till years after that he considered marrying her, and the way he told it was her idea. It was an idea he came to embrace, and one of the few sorrows of his life, and the only one he discussed, was that she preceded him in death. As a boy, he spent summers at his parents’ summer home in West Milford, New Jersey where he developed a love for fishing and hunting though by his 40s he preferred to be more an observer of wildlife rather than a hunter. Lou also liked to have a few drinks and enjoy his cigarettes and later cigars. He was careful to remind his children that it was important to enjoy life. He never expected to live so long. When he and Anne moved to Savannah, Georgia to retire, in 1989 he did so thinking he did not have many more years left. While Anne took on work running a regional charity, and volunteering in multiple organizations, he spent his time reading and getting exercise by doing yard work. They had an active social life and they developed many good friendships at the Landings on Skidaway Island, in addition to many good friends they maintained from life in Connecticut and New Jersey. Those friends helped sustain him after the shock of Anne’s death in 2000. He was proud to live to 95 years, a nice round number, but he was also ready to go. When his health started to decline in his last 5 years he did not lose his sense of humor. One of the last times his son called him on the phone requesting to speak to “Lou Adami”, his response was, “They just buried him.” Lou was a private man. He liked to talk politics, philosophy and had many insights on human nature, but he was not one to talk much about himself. It was hard to get him to talk about accomplishments. His view on life was one maybe worth emulating. To remember to enjoy oneself, not to hold a grudge and, to try to do best by other people, but not to talk about it.

His son John Louis Adami preceded him in death, and he is survived by his daughter Mary Anne Adami and son Guy Richard Adami and grandchildren, Alexander John Adami, Elizabeth Adami, Lucia Anne Adami, Eve Christine Adami, Harry Alan Adami, and John Joseph Orsban, as well as niece Joya Adami Gilmartin.

There will be a service, at which time Lou’s ashes will be buried at the family grave site in Leonia, NJ, sometime in 2021.


Leave a Condolence